ABOUT 733 / CHURCH
First Congregational United Church of Christ
The First Congregational United Church of Christ was founded in 1865 by abolitionists as the first racially integrated church in Washington, DC. In 1867 the mission committee of the church played a prominent role in the founding of Howard University. In 1868, after worshiping for several years in Congress, the church moved into its newly constructed building at the corner of 10th and G Streets, NW. When the church divided over integration in 1869 and the segregationists left, Howard University saved the church by buying the note.
During the 1960’s First Church was active in the civil rights movement, and this activism has continued throughout the church’s history: in 1975 it became an Open and Affirming (ONA) Church, in 1985 the church became a Just Peace Church, and in 2003 the church affirmed their vision as a Multiracial/Multicultural Church.
In the new millennium, with a resurgent downtown, First Church is a part of the 10th and G Street site redevelopment and will have a new state-of-the-art facility for their worship and social service programs.
During construction, the congregation, including its social programs, will continue at First Trinity Lutheran Church at the corner of 4th and E Streets.